Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Painting wood grain on aircraft

Patrick Watson posted this today on face book.  A nice tutorial on his process.










I have always greatly admired the builders in this group who use acrylics and oils to create wood finishes instead of using the ‘easier’ option of wood grain decals (guilty!!). Whilst I absolutely love wood grain decal, I want to make one or two WnW kit using acrylics and oils so I thought it might be a good idea to practice. 2 scrap plastic card patches, some Tamiya flat acrylic colours, an RB Productions wood grain stencil and some Winsor and Newton artists oils. I experimented with several colour combinations, and settled on these. The lighter colour will be used on an Albatros D.V, and the lovely seasoned rich red brown wood will be used on an Albatros BII, and possibly an LVG. I’ve written the colours down under each test patch if anyone is interested. The oils were left on absorbent paper for about an hour prior to using them to remove some of the oil, and were painted on and thinned out with some stiff bristle paint brushes to help with the grain effect. I’m going to really enjoy playing with oils!!

No comments:

Post a Comment